The Travel Photo:
Helsinki Cathedral (Helsingin tuomiokirkko), the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran cathedral, on a October Sunday afternoon.
It was designed by Helsinki’s German-born city architect Carl Ludvig Engel (1778-1849), and finished in 1840.
It’s built on a plateau, 62 meters above the ground, on top the massive steps leading up from Senate Square, behind the giant monument and statue of reformist Russian Czar Alexander II (1818-1881), known as Alexander the Liberator, who was also Grand Duke of Finland.
The statue, by Finnish sculptor Valter Runeberg (1838-1920), was erected in 1884. The top of the steps are nicknamed “The Edge of the Cliff”.
Photo by hovedsteder.blogg.no – www.minbestereiseblogg.no